Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oklahoma Unique

Photo Provided by Picture Depot
Previously I said I like to get to know a community before I visit the community, today I am going to share a few fun facts about Oklahoma that I have discovered while planning my trip.  It is quite obvious to me that Oklahoma is unique and going to, so much fun! 

Oklahoma home to music legend Will Rogers.  Rogers was born on a ranch in the Cherokee Nation that is today known as Oologah, Oklahoma. 

You know those pesky parking meters that seem to run faster than we want, well the very first one was installed in Oklahoma City on July 16, 1935....if only it hadn't of worked I wouldn't had spent $2.00 to park this morning!

The YIELD sign designed by Clinton Riggs was first used on trial basis in Tulsa Oklahoma. 

Oklahoma’s official State Meal is chicken fried steak, fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, black eyed peas, and pecan pie.  Sounds like some good eats, but man I hope I do not gain 10 pounds while I am there.  

It is against the law to bring an elephant into Tulsa’s downtown area. …that is something I needed to be prepared for! 

Route 66’s longest stretch runs through Oklahoma. 

One of my most favorite Radio Men Paul Harvey was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1918.  “This is Paul Harvey. Good Day”    Man, I miss that show! 

Outside of Tulsa, other famous folks from Oklahoma include Toby Keith, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Brad Pitt (something about those Oklahoma Boys), and Garth Brooks. 

Finally, but not least important American Idol winner, and the fabulous musician Carrie Underwood just happens to share the same hometown as many of my family and friends.  A big “shout-out” the great folks in Checotah, Oklahoma, because we know good things come from small towns! 

Just a few fun facts that I stumbled upon while researching the great state of Oklahoma, and preparing for my journey west! 

See you in a few!

~Becky

I gained many of these fun facts from Legends of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment